What is IAHSA?
International Association of Homes and Services for the Ageing (IAHSA) is a global network of leaders in ageing services, housing, research, technology and design. We bring together experts from around the world, lead education initiatives and provide a place for innovative ideas in senior care to be born. We pave the way to improve best practices in aged care so that older people everywhere can live healthier, stronger, more independent lives.
The mission of the International Association of Homes and Services for the Ageing is to connect and support care and service providers worldwide to enhance quality of life for ageing. IAHSA represents the interests of its members and promotes the association’s goals through education, leadership, and research. Our members include representatives from ageing services industries, governments, ministries of health, voluntary organizations, nongovernmental organizations, businesses, academics, and architects that specialize in design for aging.
To promote quality services for the ageing
To connect researchers and providers through applied research
To provide a forum for professional networking and an exchange of information for all persons interested in ageing, care of the ageing, facility design and accessibility for the ageing
To promote and provide education and training on global issues pertaining to ageing
To disseminate pertinent and timely information regarding ageing issues
How we started
IAHSA was founded in 1994 by an international group of leaders who realized that the global ageing crisis would have a profound impact on our earth's elders. Their vision was to create a platform for policymakers, researchers, business and ageing services providers to collectively share their knowledge and best practices to enhance quality of care for the elderly. Over the years IAHSA has created an international forum for the exchange of research, services, products and training that make up the Global Ageing Network.
[Photo: Nurses relaxing at the Garden of Eden at the London Hospital, Whitechapel, c. 1918]